As parents, one of our goals should be to raise well rounded Christian children who are prepared for life. This involves many different aspects, such as spiritual, academic, social, and practical life skills.
It’s important that we try to balance the different areas, so they will be ready to take on the opportunities God has planned for them.
Here are 10 practical tips to help us raise well rounded children:
1. From the time they accept Christ as their Savior, start to help them learn day by day to have a strong reliance on God’s Word, and to know that they should go to Him in prayer for all of life’s problems.
2. Help your children realize there are consequences for sin, and to recognize those consequences.
3. Work on Scripture memorization with them from a young age, and help them establish the habit of reading God’s Word daily, and seeking to hear His voice.
4. Help your children learn how to handle disappointment.
5. Teach them to enjoy work, and to have a good work ethic. (do their best to the glory of God)
6. Gradually teach them independence and self-reliance. Make sure you have taught them how to make wise decisions, and to seek counsel when making important decisions.
7. Help them see that they earn privileges when they have learned to show responsibility. (also that privilege brings responsibility)
8. Surround them with good books, and uplifting music. Encourage a love for reading, as well as a taste for the right kind of music. (CHARACTER BUILDING BOOKS)
9. Spend time listening to them, and allow them to express their feelings, and questions. Give LOTS of praise!
10. Make your home a happy place to be, so they want to be there and bring their friends there.
What are some things you would add to this list?