» this post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. «
Connecting to your child brings many benefits, some of which I mentioned in the previous post. Today I want to show you why connecting to your kids is powerful and why one of your top parenting priorities should be to make heart ties with your children.
Here are 7 reasons why connecting to your kids is powerful:
1. A connection that wins the hearts of your children brings you greater opportunity to influence their values.
“There is a great difference between intimidating children into subjection and winning their hearts into submission. Intimidating children into subjection merely gains outward compliance. Having their hearts means gaining greater opportunity to influence their values. “ (Reb Bradley – Solving The Crisis in Christian Parenting
2. Connecting to your kids is powerful because when kids feel disconnected they are much more likely to behave wrong.
Disciplining your children without having a strong connection is a lot more difficult, and can even lead to rebellion.
As the familiar quote says, “Rules without relationships breed rebellion.”
Rather than having the goal of changing wrong behavior in your children, make it your goal to connect and build trust.
Your kids will be willing to follow your instructions when they feel emotionally connected to you, knowing you have their best interest at heart.
3. A strong connection shows your children that they are loved and appreciated.
Kids long for the approval and love of their parents. When you have a close relationship with them, it fulfills that longing and affirms your love for them.
4. It helps you to discipline in a positive, gentle way.
Having a strong connection with your child makes discipline much easier.
A key to positive discipline is this little guideline: connect before you correct.
When you connect you build trust with your child, which results in them being more willingness to cooperate.
When they trust us to understand and know we are FOR them, they are motivated to follow our lead.
By keeping the parent-child relationship as your top goal, you will find that bond just naturally begins to happen.
5. Kids who feel connected to their parents will find it easier to communicate what is going on in their lives.
When we make a strong connection with our kids, we open the door of emotional closeness, talk with us about difficult or sensitive issues.
They will feel it is safe to come to you with their questions, worries, dreams, etc.
6. Early attachment and ongoing attachment to our kids through love, nurture, and guidance bring success to them in many areas of life.
The confidence that they gain through that connection just naturally leads to more success as they are growing up.
7. Your children feel validated and respected when they have a strong connection with you.
This promotes emotional health and fulfills their need to feel valued and accepted. It gives them a secure base from which they learn to handle their emotions.
How are you doing with connecting with and winning the heart of your child? Determine today to be intentional about tapping into the power of a strong connection!
VISIT TODAY’S 7 DAY CONNECT CHALLENGE SPONSOR: OUR PICNIC TREE!