In a previous post I asked the question “What Do My Kids See in Me?” It is a sobering question to consider. It’s also something that challenges me to think about what things I hope my kids see in me. Of course, I want them to see Jesus in me, as I mentioned in the last post.
» this post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. «
Thinking of the influence I have as a homeschooling mom, and being with my kids all the time, I asked myself the questions: “What do I want to characterize me?” or “What do I want them to see in me?”
Here’s what the Lord impressed on my heart and mind:
1. A consistent daily walk with God, spending time in His Word and prayer.
2. A dedication to teaching and training them, and making time to learn and prepare.
3. A willingness to put aside personal interests for their interests and needs.
4. A willingness to learn from others.
Learn everything you can from someone who is being blessed.
5. Self-control, and the discipline to do what I should with my time.
6. Perseverance and determination to stick with the job till it is done.
This could mean dealing with training that difficult child, or helping that child struggling with learning to read, or any job that is hard.
7. Genuine love for them, as well as others.
“Love is the cement that binds people together, the correction fluid that covers our flaws, and the salve that heals our wounds.”
As mothers, we are leading our kids by our example. My prayer is that I will be the example God wants me to be for my children!
What would you like your kids to see in you?