Although reading to your child before bed might seem like another chore on your growing to-do list as a busy parent, it’s something that you should make time for. There are plenty of great reasons why you should read to your child every night!
» this post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. «
Reading to your child before bedtime offers a number of benefits for both of you! Here are some of the best reasons to incorporate reading into your nighttime routine.
Why You Should Read To Your Child Every Night
1. It can help strengthen the bond between you and your child.
It will get you in the routine of making this time with one another every night. Bedtime routines also help children settle down for a good night’s rest.
2. The stories your child hears can help them build an imagination.
Your child will get to go on a journey to the faraway places in the books you read them. For that matter, so will you!
3. Books can make great conversation starters.
You might ask your child to put themselves in the shoes of the character you’re reading about and ask them how they would handle certain situations.
You can talk about the lessons the book teaches, or what they liked best about the story, etc.
4. Your child can learn more about morals.
Have your child see if they can determine the moral of the story. Ask them to pick out areas where they think the characters make good decisions, as well as areas where the characters could have made better choices.
5. Reading can help your child learn new vocabulary words.
If you reach a “big word,” you might want to ask your child if they know what it means.
Reading actually helps your children to develop their vocabulary and learn those big words that they normally wouldn’t know, as they hear them in the context of the story.
6. It can help your child develop a love for reading.
Your children are sure to remember how much fun you had together when you read to them at night. It will encourage them to want to read as they grow up and may lead to a lifelong love for books.
How to Read to Your Child Every Night
1. Pick a time and make it a daily habit that your kids will look forward to.
Right before bedtime is a great idea, as it gives your kids something to look forward to before bed, and ends the day with a closeness.
2. Promise a certain amount of reading each night.
For example, one or two books, or 15 minutes. That way they know what to expect.
3. Plan ahead so you always have books on hand that you know they will enjoy.
4. If you’re trying to encourage them to read, allow “extra” reading – whether that means an extra book, or 10 or 15 extra minutes.
The catch is that they have to read part of it to you, instead of you reading it to them.
5. Allow time for conversation afterwards.
You can ask your child questions, encourage them to ask you questions, or simply talk about the books you’ve read together.
Reading to your child every night can be a lot of fun for both of you! It’s one habit that every parent will want to work into their night-time routine.
Why not start with some great character building books: 15 BOOKS TO HELP YOU TEACH CHARACTER TO YOUR CHILDREN
It will help you develop the daily reading together habit, while teaching character in an informal, fun way!
Join my BOOK NOOK for book giveaways, reading tips, great book ideas, and parties!