What do you consider the most important step in preparing for a new school year?
There are many things that go into planning for a new homeschool year. There is deciding what each child needs to learn, choosing curriculum, organizing the materials, etc.
» this post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. «
However, I believe that the MOST IMPORTANT STEP in preparing is spending time in prayer.
Praying faithfully over your homeschool is even more important than choosing curriculum, or coming up with the perfect schedule.
Prayer is vital to all areas of your homeschool.
This may seem rather obvious to you, but I know there were years when I was excited about planning for the new year, and I just dove right in without asking God for direction.
There were times that I forgot to seek God, and got caught up in trying what other families were raving about, or in trying to do lots of extras that some of my home school friends were doing.
Even though they may have been “good things,” it doesn’t mean they were best for MY family.
God calls each of us to do different things with our families, and He may not be calling us to do something another family may be doing.
That’s why it is SO important to pray over your homeschool! Seek God, and don’t get caught in the comparison trap!
As homeschooling parents, we have to remember that homeschooling is a lifestyle, and involves much more than academics. We cannot diligently train, instruct and educate our children in our own strength or wisdom.
We need God’s guidance as we try to fulfill that responsibility to raise our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
10 Things to pray when preparing for a new school year:
- Wisdom to grow as you train your children and point them to Him
- A vision and goals for your homeschool and your family. (Where there is no vision, the people perish)
- Guidance in making decisions about curriculum choices, learning styles, schedules, etc.
- Wisdom to meet the needs of each of your children
- That your kids will develop godly character
- That you will remember your goals, and not get distracted by other “good” things.
- That you will keep the relationship with your kids more important than the academics
- That you will win the hearts of your children
- That each of your kids will grow in wisdom and knowledge
- That you will daily point your kids to God by your example and teaching.
The best resource for our prayers is the Word of God. His Word has the answer to any situation you may face in your homeschooling.
God’s Word is powerful, and when we pray according to Scripture God will give us the answer or help that we need.
When you aren’t sure you can do it, find verses to encourage you and pray those verses right back to God. If you’re getting weary and discouraged, find a verse to claim that will encourage you.
I suggest keeping a list of verses on hand through out your school year, and praying them as needed.
Here is a list of my favorites! 20 Encouraging Bible Verses For Homeschooling.
As you begin the important task of planning for your new school year (or continuing your school year), make a commitment to bathe your homeschool in prayer! Then watch and see what God will do.
Be sure you also make a commitment to pray for your kids daily! Here’s a challenge to help you get started with that: Praying Biblical Virtues For Your Children – 30 Day Prayer Challenge.